This is quite a different and delicious soup that you will go crazy over!
Trahana is a type of Greek “country” pasta, made out of wheat – bulgur or cracked wheat, flour – semolina flour or a mix of semolina and flour and milk or yogurt. There’s the sweet trahana made with sheep or goat’s milk and the sour trahana made from milk and yogurt.
- Place a pan over high heat. Sauté the cubes of ham for about 3-4 minutes without any oil, until it browns a little.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, onion and garlic.
- Lower heat to medium. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the thyme and mushrooms. Sauté for about 5-10 minutes, until any liquid has evaporated.
- Add the cans of chopped tomatoes, 2 pinches of sugar, salt, pepper, sweet trahana pasta, bouillon cube and 5 cups of water.
- Simmer for 18-20 minutes over very low heat, until the trahana pasta is done.
- Season to taste and serve.