For the vegan meatballs
- Place a frying pan over high heat and add the olive oil.
- Finely chop the onion, the garlic, and add them to the pan.
- Finely chop the stems of the dill and add them to the pan. Add the thyme, salt, pepper, and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Set the rest of the dill aside.
- In a food processor, add the mushrooms in batches and process until they are very finely chopped. Transfer to the pan and sauté for 15-20 minutes until they release their whole moisture and lose their volume.
- Remove and let the mixture cool. At this point, the consistency should be thick like ground meat.
- In a bowl add the mushroom paste, the lime zest, the rest of the dill finely chopped, the bread, the rice, salt, pepper, the flour, and mix very well with your hands.
- Shape into small meatballs and add them into a pot or a deep frying pan. Press the meatballs well to bind them and prevent them from falling apart during cooking.
- Add the coconut milk, 2 bay leaves, salt, and pepper into the pot, and transfer over low heat. Cover with the lid and boil for 10 minutes.
For the vegan egg-lemon sauce
- In a bowl add the corn starch, the lime juice, and mix.
- Add the mixture to the meatballs and stir for 1 minute until the sauce thickens. Ideally, shake the pot and do not mix with a ladle.
- If you want your sauce to be thicker, then dilute 1 more teaspoon of corn starch into 30 g water, and add it to the pot.
- Serve with chili flakes, dill, lime slices, and olive oil.