The perfect companion to ouzo: The garlic marinated anchovies go hand in hand with the Greek culture and drinking ouzo during the summer. The European anchovy (gavros) is a small fish that offers the body a lot of energy thanks to the omega-3 fats, and its high content of phosphorus, calcium and niacin. You can enjoy it on its own or along with a crunchy slice of bread that will turn it into a first class bruschetta. It is a tasty appetizer ideal for summer meze.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350* F) Fan.
- Clean the anchovies, season with salt and pepper. Place them in one layer in a 23 cm round baking pan.
- Finely chop the cloves of garlic and sprinkle them over the fish. Do the same with the hot pepper.
- Add lemon juice, oregano, olive oil and 50 g of water.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the water reduces and the anchovies are done.
- Serve with greens over toasted bread like bruschetta.