- 1 octopus (about 1 kilo) washed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 15 shallot onions
- 3 cloves of garlic (thinly sliced)
- 120 g black olives (pitted and sliced)
- 3 bay leaves
- 2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 pinches bukovo chili flakes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- fresh coliander to serve
- spring onion, finely chopped to serve
Balsamic Braised Octopus Stew with Olives
Gluten Free Diet
Excludes foods containing gluten, such as wheat, barley, rye and their by-products.
Dairy Free Diet
Excludes foods such as milk, yoghurt, cheese and their by-products.
Egg Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to this food.
Sugar Free Diet
Limits all sources of added sugars and encourages the reduction of high-carbohydrate (high glycemic index) foods. A claim that a food can be classified as SF can be made when it contains less than 0.5 gr of sugars per 100 gr of solid food or 100 ml of liquid food.
Nuts Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to nuts.
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
- Wash the octopus and scrub the suckers to remove any sand or grit.
- Place your octopus on a cutting board.
- Chop off the hood right under the eyes. Cut right over the eyes and discard that section, reserving the hood.
- Turn the hood inside out and wipe clean with some paper towels. Turn it back over.
- Find the mouth at the center of the body and remove it. Separate the legs from the body and chop all of the octopus into 2 cm bite sized pieces.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Place a pot over high heat and let it get very hot.
- Chop 15 shallots in half and press down on each half with the palm of your hand and separate the layers.
- Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot and then add your shallots.
- Stir and saute for 3-4 minutes until they caramelize nicely.
- Thinly slice 3 cloves of garlic and add them to the pan.
- Stir and saute.
- Add the octopus and saute for 4-5 minutes stirring often with a wooden spoon.
- Add 120 g of pitted and sliced olives, the balsamic vinegar, 2 pinches of chili flakes, 3 bay leaves, 2 tablespoons of honey and some pepper.
- Do not add any salt since the octopus is already salty.
- Stir to combine all of the ingredients.
- Lower heat and cover pot with a lid and let it simmer for 45-60 minutes, until it softens to your liking.
- Check the stew about 10 minutes before the suggested cooking time, to see if it has released too much liquid. If it has, then leave the pot uncovered until all the extra liquid has evaporated. It will reduce in to a nice rich broth.
- Serve with some finely chopped spring onions and fresh coriander.
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by