For the beer-battered mussels
- In a bowl, add the blonde beer, baking powder, granulated sugar, all-purpose flour and salt. Whisk until completely combined and the flour has dissolved.
- Season the mussels with some salt and add 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour.
- Add the mussels to the beer-batter and mix to coat.
- Add the mussels, one at a time, to a deep pan with hot oil. Fry in batches, making sure not to crowd your pan.
- Mix and fry for 2-3 minutes, until golden and crunchy. When ready, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and allow to drain from excess oil.
For the Romesco sauce
- Chop the tomato into pieces and gently press on the pieces to remove excess juices and moisture.
- Transfer to a blender and add the lemon zest, thinly sliced garlic, finely chopped chili peppers, red horned peppers, walnuts, bread cut into pieces, salt, pepper, honey, lemon juice and olive oil. Beat until all of the ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Transfer mussels to a serving plate and serve with lemon wedges and fresh herbs and Romesco sauce.