For the strawberry jam
- Remove the stems and quarter the strawberries.
- Transfer to a pan and add the sugar, salt and cognac.
- Place pan over medium heat and cook for 8-10 minutes, until the jam thickens.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
For the cream cheese filling
- Beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract in a mixer for 5 minutes on high speed, until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the heavy cream and beat for 1-2 minutes until the cream thickens.
- Place a 20 cm plate over the sponge cake and cut into a circular shape. Do not discard the parts you cut away.
- Cut 3 strips of parchment paper and place them on a serving platter in the shape of a triangle. This will help keep the serving plate clean while assembling the cake.
- Place the first layer of sponge cake on the serving platter.
- Cut the remaining strawberries in half and place all around the edges of the sponge cake like a ring.
- Spread half of the jam in the center.
- Cover with 1/3 of the cream cheese filling, spreading carefully. Add 2-3 pieces of strawberries to help stabilize the next layer of sponge cake.
- Add the second layer of sponge cake and follow the same process.
- Then add the third layer of sponge cake and spread the final 1/3 of the cream cheese filling.
- Break up the leftover pieces of sponge cake and spread them over the cream.
- Top with the remaining strawberries and serve with mint leaves and icing sugar.