We’ve made the chocolate torte with the Greek flag! You can decorate it with your own country flag! Make the same delicious cake and change up the frosting to suit the specific holiday or celebration!
For the sponge cake
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Beat the eggs, egg yolks, sugar and salt for about 10-15 minutes in a mixer with the whisk attachment, until light and fluffy.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, corn starch and cocoa powder.
- When the egg mixture is ready, remove the bowl form the mixers stand. Add the flour mixture and gently fold with a spatula.
- Line a 30x40 cm baking pan with parchment paper. Grease with butter and dust with cocoa powder.
- Transfer mixture to baking pan and smooth surface with spatula.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
For the filling
- Combine the caster sugar and cocoa powder in a mixer with the paddle attachment on low speed. Add the butter one piece at a time.
- Add the vanilla and gradually add the heavy cream until all of the ingredients are combined and the filling becomes smooth.
For the whipped cream frosting
- Beat the heavy cream in a mixer with the whisk attachment.
- When it turns into a thick whipped cream, divide between 2 bowls. Add 400 g to one bowl and 200 g in the other.
- Add the blue food coloring to the bowl with the 200 g of whipped cream. You want to create a dark blue color. Mix gently with a spatula.
- You will need 3 sponge cakes.
- Place the first sponge cake on a serving platter.
- Spread some of the filling over it.
- Cover with the second sponge cake and spread filling over it.
- Add the third sponge cake and spread filling over it.
- Spread some of the white whipped cream over the top with a spatula, making sure it is even all over.
- Design the Greek flag by creating the shape of a flag over the top. Then divide into 9 equal strips (4 white ones and 5 blue one) and a cross at the upper left hand corner.
- Fill 2 piping bags; one with the white whipped cream and one with the blue whipped cream. Using a star tip, start to pipe small stars, one next to the other until you fill in all of the blue and white sections creating a perfect flag.
- You can design any flag you want and color the whipped cream accordingly!
- Your beautifully decorated torte is ready!