Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos
For sponge cakes
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350*F) Fan.
- 3 baking pans, 20 cm each.
- Grease, dust with flour and line with parchment paper.
- Grease and flour the parchment paper also.
- In a mixer, beat the eggs and sugar. Beat on high speed with the whisk attachment, for 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Sift all the dry ingredients (flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda) into a bowl.
- When the eggs and sugar are ready, add the pumpkin puree and vanilla. Mix.
- Remove mixing bowl and add the flour mixture.
- Mix with a spatula until all of the ingredients have been thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter into the 3 baking pans. Bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Turn out from baking pans.
- Beat the cream cheese, heavy cream and half of the sugar, until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla. Continue to beat on medium speed, add the remaining sugar and continue beating until the mixture becomes very light and fluffy.
- Add all of the ingredients to a deep pan, apart from the walnuts. Boil for 3 minutes. You can also toast the walnuts to intensify their flavor.
- Add the walnuts to the caramel. Set aside.
To assemble torte
- Begin to assemble the torte by placing 1 of the sponge cakes on to a serving platter. Spread half of the cream cheese filling on to it.
- Cover with the second sponge cake and the remaining filling. Cover with the third sponge cake.
- Heat the walnut mixture if it has become too thick. Spread over third sponge cake to top the torte beautifully.