Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Grease and flour 2 round 20 cm cake pans. Line the bottom with a sheet of parchment paper brushed with olive oil.
- In a mixer, use the whisk attachment and beat the butter and sugar for 5-6 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg whites, in small batches, waiting for each addition to be completely incorporated into the mixture before adding the next.
- Add the vanilla and vegetable oil and beat to until fluffy.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and stir with a spoon.
- Start adding the flour mixture and milk to the mixer in batches, starting and ending with the flour. Again, wait for each batch of ingredients to be completely incorporated into the mixture before adding the next.
- When the mixture is completely combined, add the confetti sprinkles and gently mix with a spatula to distribute.
- Divide the batter into the 2 cake pans. Sprinkle with extra confetti sprinkles.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until you insert a toothpick into the cake and it comes out dry and clean.
For the frosting and filling
- Beat the sugar and butter in a mixer on high speed until they become a light and fluffy cream.
- Add the vanilla and salt.
- Assemble the cake by spreading some of the frosting between the two layers of cake.
- Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides.
- Sprinkle with extra confetti sprinkles!