A classic Greek recipe made with ground turkey instead of ground meat.
For the béchamel sauce
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour and stir well. Let the flour sauté a bit.
- Add the milk a little at a time and whisk continuously so that no lumps are formed.
- When the béchamel sauce starts to thicken, you must keep whisking and keep a close eye on it so that it doesn’t burn on the bottom.
- When ready, remove from heat and add the 3 egg yolks.
- Whisk and add salt, pepper, nutmeg and the gruyere (reserving 1 tablespoon for sprinkling at the end) and stir until incorporated.
For the pasta
- Boil the pasta according to the directions on the box minus 2 minutes. They will cook further in the oven so don’t overcook them.
- When ready, drain and add the egg whites and crumbled feta cheese. Toss and season to taste.
For the ground turkey
- Place a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and olive oil.
- Sauté for 3-4 minutes, add the garlic and sauté.
- Add the tomato paste and sauté.
- Add the bouillon cube and ground turkey. Break up the ground turkey with a wooden spoon, stir and sauté until golden.
- Add the wine and let it evaporate.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper and herbs like thyme, oregano and bay leaves.
- Simmer over low heat until all of the sauce has reduced. this may take about 40 minutes.
- When ready, we add the parsley.
- Preheat oven to 180* C – 200* C (350* F – 390* F) Fan.
- Add ¼ to 1/3 of the béchamel sauce to the ground turkey mixture and mix well.
- In an ovenproof baking dish, add the pasta and spread them evenly with your hands.
- Spread the ground turkey mixture over them and then add the remaining béchamel sauce.
- Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top and add a few pieces of butter.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden.