Strozzapreti are Italian hand rolled pasta! Try making them!
For the strozzapreti
- Combine all of the ingredients for the dough in a bowl. When ready, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Dust a working surface with flour. Roll out the dough until it is 2 mm thick. Dust with more flour if necessary.
- Slice off the ends to create a rectangular shape. Then cut into 1 cm strips, like making tagliatelle.
- Roll each strip between both hands, twisting them between your palms. Use your palm as a guide, cutting them into pieces that are the length of our palm.
- When all of the dough has been turned into strozzapreti, dust them with flour and toss, so they won’t stick together. Boil them in salted water for 5 minutes.
For the sauce
- Chop the eggplant into cubes.
- Place a pan over medium to high heat and sauté the eggplant with some olive oil, until golden on all sides.
- When ready, transfer to a bowl.
- Wipe down pan with some paper towels. Sauté the onion with a little olive oil until translucent. Then add the garlic and continue to sauté. If you add the garlic from the start, it will burn.
- Add the red pepper, carrot, eggplant, tomato, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the boiled pasta. Stir to combine.
- Top with garnish.. the spring onion, herbs and crumbled feta cheese. Serve.