We can start our day with it. We drink it as a snack, enjoy it in the afternoon or even as a light dinner. No, I am not saying to fill our day with smoothies. I am simply explaining to you that it is a drink that can be used not only as a snack but also as a main meal and -first of all- at any time of the day! Eh, this is a big deal itself. Above all, though, the smoothie is not another summer drink. As it is known, a smoothie is made of fresh, seasonal ingredients. What does that mean? That it can -and it has to!- go hand in hand with each season. Moreover, whoever says that smoothies can be drunk only cold, simply has not tasted them hot! So, what do you say? Shall we go see how to make the perfect smoothie?
A meal in a glass…
…and not any kind of meal. A quick and nutritional meal. Made correctly. Equipped with all the vitamins, trace elements and metals that it has to include. All the antioxidants and fibers. Generally, all these elements that make it not only tasty but also nutritional for our body! The best of all? That we can adjust it exactly to our needs (with our nutritionist’s consult if we are trying to lose weight or with our doctor’s, if we follow some specific diet), simply by adding the appropriate ingredients. And, you know what? A smoothie can be a lot more than fruits, yogurt, and ice…5 steps are enough to bring us closer to it!
- We choose the base -- We add a…liquid element that we like: Milk (regular, soy, almond or coconut, cold or warm), fruit juice, tea (cold or hot), even coffee (cold or hot) are some of our alternatives. Lastly, we should not forget that the more juice the fruits and vegetables have, the lesser liquid quantity we must add.
- We add fruits and vegetables -- We choose at least two different fruits – fresh or frozen. Also, if we want to make our smoothie even…greener, we do not hesitate to add, apart from fruits, some vegetables too; such as rocket, spinach or kale.
- “We work” with its consistency -- Let’s not lie: If there is something that we love in a good smoothie, that is its rich, creamy texture. A little peanut butter or yogurt, an ice cream scoop, even a few ice cubes (if we want it cold), all of which should be beaten in the blender along with rest of the ingredients, can give us the desired result.
- We give it taste -- Sweeteners, spices, and also some herbs can upgrade, in a second, the final taste. Sugar, stevia, vanilla or almond extract, cinnamon, maple syrup, or some fresh mint – these are a few of our alternatives which are, of course, countless!
- We boost…its power -- It is exactly this power that will go through our body and it will give us the energy that we need. In order to get it, we simply have to add to our smoothie some protein in powder, probiotics, superfoods like goji berries, spirulina, acai, maca, and other similar powders!
And now that we learned all that we need to, it is time to get to the best recipes! These are the ones that follow! You can follow them precisely or experiment by adding your own ingredients. Cheers!