This is a fact: The bowl tends to become the next “plate”. What do I mean? That quite often, we see meals (breakfast, snack, even dinner) being served in a bowl instead of the classic plate. Have you ever thought what is it that makes more and more people use bowls?
- Do they feel that they eat less?
- Is it more easy-to-use and practical? You just add everything in without worrying you might drop or spill something…
- Is it just a…trend?
Whatever the reason, the result is the same: Bowls have not only become part of our lives, but they have also become the motive for several food trends! Poke Bowls, Acai Bowls, Oatmeal Bowls… They are all complete meals that include all sorts of ingredients. But what is the main requirement to make them nutrient-dense and complete? To include ingredients from each food group, a few fats, a little sugar, and to be rich in fruits and vegetables! In the following lines, I have for you 5 simple steps to experiment and create your own delicious bowls by using several ingredients that you may have at home, while -below that- you will find some yummy, tested recipes that will amaze you! Let’s take a look at them all, one by one…
- Choose the base. Are you making a poke bowl? Choose between rice or noodles. Do you prefer an acai bowl? Beat the acai puree with fruits (fresh, frozen or dried). Do you want to prepare a yummy breakfast or snack? You can use oats, muesli, quinoa, or cereal as your base. Whatever it is that you want to make, you have countless -tasty- alternatives.
- Boost with protein. Some chopped meat, fish, or seafood (for the savory option), and milk or yogurt (for the sweet option). All you have to do is choose the one you like best, by thinking of the ingredients and the…toppings that will follow.
- Add fiber. If we’re talking about an…exotic poke bowl, you would definitely use seaweed. For something simpler, you can choose between several veggies (for the savory) and fruits (for the sweet). The secret? Prefer a few different kinds of the above for an even more…colorful, tasty, and nutrient-rich result (since each color can be “linked” to specific vitamins). And, of course, do not forget about the ones that go…with everything: Avocadoes or strawberries. They can fit both in savory and sweet bowls.
- Pour over a sauce. From spicy Asian and Middle Eastern sauces to sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce or fresh lemon juice for your savory creations. As for the sweet ones? A little honey or maple syrup, but even 4-5 tablespoons of some freshly squeezed juice (if it fits), will make the difference.
- Sprinkle with…anything you can imagine. You can choose among countless ingredients, depending on the recipe you are making (if it's savory or sweet). Some of them? Toasted sesame seeds, nuts, seeds, chocolate flakes, finely chopped dried fruits, and several spices as well.
And now, for those who do not love experiments, our recipes as promised… All you have to do is take a look, see which ingredients you have and which ones you have to buy and…make the tastiest bowls ever!!!
I am waiting for your comments and photos :-)