«What does it mean to cook smart?», you’ll ask me. It means that we choose our ingredients correctly. We serve the right portions. We do not throw away food. We organize our refrigerator and kitchen cabinets, and invest in homemade, nutrient-rich food. And these are just the beginning… Smart and low-cost cooking consists of so many things and -the best part- is that…it’s up to us! In the way that we think and manage our food resources.
So, what do you think? Shall we see how to act accordingly in our everyday lives?
- Start by supplying your refrigerator with fruits and vegetables. They are low-cost and full of vitamins. Moreover, they are low in calories while they also help us not only…fool, but also satisfy (completely!) our hunger. Here, you will find everything that you need to know regarding seasonality, the way with which you can manage and store fruits and vegetables, and also their most important nutrients.
- Seeds again and again! Do not be fooled by their size… Their power is the exact opposite of that. You can enjoy them into breakfasts, turn them into super delicious meals and light dinners. Discover them here, also take a look here, and make them a part of your life without thinking twice!
- Say “yes” to legumes. Regarding their cost, it’s the same as the above - you give a little but you take…so much! The phrase value for money applies perfectly here. Fill your cabinets and use them into salads or create unique and nutrient-rich meals with them!
- Get to know your foods well (before buying them). There is no better way for you to put your money to good use than buying exactly what you need. How are you going to know that? Simply by reading the food labels. They will tell you everything you need to know about the food you’re holding into your hands. Here, you’ll find all the information that you need.
- «Fill» your plates correctly. What do I mean by “correctly”? I mean filling your plate with the amount of food that you actually need. This is a tactic that you can turn to your advantage not only regarding the health part (as you will not be eating more than you have to), but also regarding your money (by knowing the right portions, you can shop accordingly and use your food properly). Here, you will find the way to control the portions’ sizes.
- Build a plan. What plan? A plan with the meals (but also the snacks!) of the week. Based on this, you will shop and cook your food. This plan will help you adopt a healthier and more low-cost way of eating since you will be cooking homemade meals and you will not resort to junk food. The main requirement? This plan should include foods from all food groups. Dairy, legumes, fish, white meat, and a variety of vegetables and fruits… A specialist’s advice would be valuable in this case, since he/she could help you create a general eating plan according to your needs and way of life.
- Make the fridge…your best friend! Learn how to organize and take advantage of its space, and also how to store leftovers in it. Moreover, you can use it to store half-cooked meals and save time from the preparations during the week. What does that mean? No food in...the trash, better management of your purchases and time, healthier eating habits, and better management of your home’s finances!
And like that, you will accomplish smart and low-cost cooking. To that, I will add TASTY as well. So, in order to cook tasty TOO, the only thing needed is to visit my website and discover unique recipes which could fit with your eating plan :-)
I promise you that I will keep doing everything I can to fill you with delicious ideas!