Choose section to search
Type to search
Recipe Book
Diary
September 17, 2019
Good food equals…good grades!

Yes, healthy foods -sometimes- do not seem that tasty to kids. However, in previous blog posts, we had talked about their…favorite foods. We made quick and delicious snacks and we found out how to make a snack that endures. So, this year, a few days after the beginning of the new school year, I thought of talking about the “smart” foods of students. Which are they? Those that give them strength, vitality, and sharp mind. That give them as much energy as they need in order to cope with the difficulties of their daily program – let’s face it…Kids’ everyday life has become a lot more demanding compared to previous years. Therefore, a balanced diet, that is not only rich in fresh ingredients but also in flavors, is what every student needs! What do you say, shall we see which foods it could include?  

Milk. Why? Because according to relevant studies, milk contributes to the proper function not only of the nervous system, but also of the brain, while the calcium it contains (in combination with the vitamins and the proteins milk has) helps -among other things- the bone development and growth.

Cereals. Cereals give kids energy, as long as they are part of a complete and balanced breakfast meal. In fact, you should prefer whole-grain cereals as they are rich in fiber, improving the digestion process even more.

> Yummy idea: Homemade cereal

Homemade cereal by the Greek chef Akis Petretzikis

Eggs. B12 vitamin improves memory and helps kids digest the new information they learn at school. Moreover, eggs contain vitamin D which helps the absorption of calcium. Lastly, the proteins and amino acids of eggs boost the brain’s and memory’s function. If you are, now, wondering about which eggs to prefer, you will find all the information here!

> Yummy idea: Cheese and turkey omelet roll

Cheese and turkey omelet roll by the Greek chef Akis Petretzikis

Fruits and vegetables. The reason is obvious: They are little bombs of vitamins and valuable nutrients for the human body. Moreover, due to the antioxidants that many of them contain, they contribute to the improvement of memory both for kids and for adults!

> Yummy idea: Fruit burger

Fruit burger by the Greek chef Akis Petretzikis

Meat. Iron, which we find in meat -mainly in red meat- contributes to the improvement of memory. Moreover, through its protein, meat gives kids energy. For these reasons, it could be part of the family meal plan.

> Yummy idea: Turkey burgers

Turkey burgers by the Greek chef Akis Petretzikis

Nuts. The iron and magnesium that many nuts contain, are two elements that also improve memory. What does that mean? That almonds, hazelnuts, and walnuts are a very good snack choice.

> Yummy idea: Chocolate energy bars with nuts

Chocolate energy bars with nuts by the Greek chef Akis Petretzikis

Cocoa. «Students are always very stressed» and cocoa can contribute positively to that. How? Every time you eat cocoa (not on its own, but along with milk or into some recipe), endorphins that boost our mood are released in the body. Moreover, cocoa is rich in polyphenols and stimulates the central nervous system.

> Yummy idea: Chocolate hummus shake

Chocolate hummus shake by the Greek chef Akis Petretzikis

Yogurt. Do you want to give energy to your kids? Prepare for them a bowl with yogurt and fruits or cereals and honey! In that way, you will boost their body with vitamins, while you will boost their immune system as well, due to the healthy bacteria that yogurt contains.

> Yummy idea: Carrot and apple yogurt

Carrot and apple yogurt by the Greek chef Akis Petretzikis

And like that, with this blog post, I wish once again “Happy School Year” to all the children, but also to all the parents since -as I have understood- parents…repeat each class from the start, along with their kids :-)

Akis

* In case that your child follows a special diet, you should consult your doctor before making any changes in its dietary habits.

comments powered by Disqus