Akis' Tasty Ways
4 ways chickpeas
- In a food processor add 400 g canned chickpeas along with their water. Process well until mashed.
- Add 250 g self-rising flour, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and process for 20 seconds until the ingredients are homogenized and you get a soft dough.
- Place a frying pan with 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Transfer the dough to a floured working surface and cut it into 8-10 pieces. Use a rolling pin to roll out each piece into a round sheet, 10 cm in diameter, and put them -in batches- into the hot frying pan.
- Cook the pitas for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the pan and serve them with cherry tomatoes, cucumber and carrot sticks, olives, feta cheese, chickpeas, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Chocolate chickpea truffles
- In a food processor add 240 g boiled chickpeas, 2 tablespoons water, 150 g smooth peanut butter, and process until the ingredients are homogenized.
- Add 200 g melted chocolate couverture and process well.
- Shape into small balls and transfer them to a baking pan. Refrigerate them for 2-3 hours until chilled and firm.
- Dip them in melted chocolate and transfer them to a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Let them cool and set, and then serve.
- Preheat the oven to 190ο C (370ο F) set to fan.
- In a bowl add 240 g chickpeas, boiled and drained, and add 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, 1 clove of garlic finely chopped, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper, and mix well.
- Spread well in a baking pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let them cool and serve.
Aquafaba (Chickpea meringue)
- Drain 400 g boiled chickpeas and keep their water.
- Transfer the water to the mixer’s bowl and add 1 pinch of salt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and beat with the whisk attachment at high speed, for 4-5 minutes, until you get a meringue.
- Add 80 g icing sugar and beat at low speed, for 1-2 minutes, until the icing sugar is melted and the mixture is firm.
- Transfer to a pastry bag and decorate any cupcakes you like.
- Brown it with a kitchen torch and serve.