This is the perfect recipe to use any leftover mashed sweet potatoes or roasted sweet potatoes.
For the pickled carrots
- In a saucepan, boil the vinegar and sugar, until the sugar dissolves.
- Set aside for 2-3 minutes to cool.
- In a bowl, add the grated carrots along with the mixture from saucepan and salt. Mix and set aside until needed.
For the burger
- Finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Place a pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and let it get hot.
- Add the onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes until slightly golden.
- Add the garlic and sesame seeds. Sauté for 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and allow mixture to cool.
- Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork and wrap them in parchment paper.
- Transfer to an ovenproof bowl and microwave for 15-20 minutes at 800 Watts, until they soften. (The time will depend on the size of the sweet potatoes.)
- When ready, very carefully remove the bowl from the microwave because it will be very hot.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half, lengthwise and use a spoon to remove their flesh. Transfer to a food processor and beat until pureed.
- Add the grated beetroots, breadcrumbs, bulgur, boiled quinoa, sautéed vegetables from pan, salt and pepper.
- Pulse just to combine ingredients. You don’t want to beat for too long or else you will puree the vegetables. Season to taste.
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Shape mixture into 6 burger patties.
- Spread the raw quinoa in a dish and coat each burger with it. Brush patties with remaining olive oil.
- Place a pan over medium to high heat, add the patties and sauté for 1-2 minutes on each side until the quinoa turns light golden.
- Transfer to a baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- When ready, remove from oven and you are now ready to serve your burgers!
- Spread 1 teaspoon mayonnaise over the bottom part of the hamburger bun.
- Cover with patty and then add a slice of tomato, onions, some rocket leaves and pickled carrots.
- Spread the top part of the hamburger bun with mild mustard, cover burger and serve.