- olive oil
- 5-6 onions, large, chopped
- sprig(s) thyme, and some leaves
- 200 g sausage, country, cut into rounds
- 250 g feta cheese
- 120 g all-purpose flour
- 120 g whole-wheat flour
- 1 heaping teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 70 g butter, unsalted, at room temperature, cut into pieces
- 150 ml milk
Upside Down Onion and Country Sausage Pie
1 hour 30 minutes
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and thyme.
- Sauté for 5-8 minutes, stirring continuously until the onions soften and turn a light golden.
- 3-4 minutes before they are done, add the country sausage and sauté.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a 22 cm round, nonstick cake pan.
- Crumble 150 g of the feta cheese over the top.
- In a bowl, combine the 2 types of flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter and begin to mix with your hands, until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk and mix again, until you create a soft dough.
- Transfer to a lightly floured working surface and roll out in to a thin sheet that is a little larger than the cake pan.
- Cover the filling in the cake pan with the dough. Press down on the edges so that the dough sticks.
- Use a sharp knife to pierce the surface of the dough a few times to allow the steam to escape while baking.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the dough becomes firm and golden.
- When ready, remove from oven and set aside for a few minutes to cool.
- Turn the pie out of the cake pan, cut in to pieces.
- Serve with the remaining 100 g of feta cheese crumbled over the top.
Rate this recipe You need to login