- 2 fennel bulbs
- 40 g olive oil
- 1 kilo chicken thigh fillets
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 250 g yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, finely chopped (or, if you cannot find any, 1 teaspoon fennel seeds)
- 2 puff pastry sheets
- a little flour, for the dusting
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten in 1 tablespoon water, for the brushing
Mini chicken pithiviers
Nuts Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to nuts.
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
Pithiviers come from France. They are made by two puff pastry sheets which have a sweet or savory filling in their center. This can be either made from mushrooms or cheese with aromatic fruits. But, if you are wondering which might have been the original filling of the pithivier, I have the answer: Traditionally, French people filled it with frangipane or almond cream, while some others dusted them with icing sugar before serving them. As for its shape? It was round at first, but it wasn’t long before it got many variations.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375° F) set to fan and line a 30x40 cm baking pan with parchment paper.
- Peel and cut the fennel bulbs into thin slices 0,5 cm. Drizzle it with 2 tablespoons olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Mix well.
- Spread the fennel slices onto the parchment paper and roast them for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces into a bowl, drizzle them with a little olive oil, add salt and pepper, and as soon as the fennel bulbs are roasted, spread them on top of the chicken and roast for 30 minutes.
- In the first 15 minutes, wet the chicken with the juices of the baking pan where you roasted the fennel, and keep roasting for 15 more minutes.
- Remove the chicken and the fennel bulbs separately from the oven and let them cool.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them in half.
- Add them into a baking pan with the cut side facing up, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast them at 180°C (350° F) for 1 hour. Remove the baking pan from the oven and let them cool.
- With 2 forks, separate the chicken pieces. With a knife, cut the fennel bulbs into pieces.
- Mix the chicken with the fennel bulbs, parsley, spring onions, lemon, garlic, yogurt, and tarragon. The mixture should be quite thick, so start with 4 tablespoons yogurt and if it is too thick, add a little more.
- Divide the mixture to the tomatoes and wrap each piece into plastic wrap. Refrigerate them overnight (12 hours).
- The following day, prepare the puff pastry. With two plates as a pattern, one being 8 cm in diameter and the other one 10 cm, cut discs of the puff pastry sheets.
- After dusting the discs with flour, place them on top of each other, and refrigerate them. The smaller discs will be the base of the pithiviers while the larger ones will be the top.
- Place a small disc onto your working surface and get a piece of the filling from the refrigerator.
- Remove the plastic wrap and place the filling with the side of the chicken onto the puff pastry by pressing it a little.
- With a pastry brush, spread with the yolk-water mixture around the filling and cover with one of the larger discs.
- Seal the two discs carefully, and make patterns with a fork.
- Spread the larger puff pastry disc with the yolk-water mixture well, and with a sharp knife, draw decorative patterns on its surface by scoring it slightly and create a small hole in its center, so that steam can be released during baking.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (390° F) set to fan. Refrigerate the pithivier and continue with the rest.
- When you prepare all of them, bake them for 20-30 minutes until they get a nice, golden brown color.
A little chocolate spread, a few finely chopped apples dusted with sugar and cinnamon, or a little crème patisserie will help us create the sweetest version of pithiviers!
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by