- 500 g milk
- 50 g semolina, fine
- 1 teaspoon(s) paprika, smoked
- 3 eggs
- 500 g kasseri cheese
- 500 g gruyere cheese
- pepper, a generous amount
- 1 tablespoon(s) baking powder
- 250 g olive oil, for brushing phyllo + extra for serving
- 600 g phyllo dough sheet, fresh
- sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- oregano, fresh, for serving
Greek Kaseri Cheese Pie - Kaseropita
Diet based on cereals, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits and other animal foods such as honey and eggs. Excludes meat, fish, mollusks.
Nuts Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to nuts.
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
For the filling
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Place a pot over low heat.
- Add the milk and let it come to a boil.
- As soon as it does, add the semolina and paprika.
- Whisk continuously for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture thickens.
- You are making a semolina béchamel sauce that will add body to the filling.
- When it is thick and creamy, remove from heat and set it aside for 2-3 minutes so it can cool.
- Add the eggs and whisk until completely incorporated.
- Add the grated Kasseri, grated gruyere and a generous amount of freshly ground pepper. Stir with a wooden spoon until the cheese melts and the mixture is creamy.
- Let the mixture cool a little more and then add the baking powder. Stir and set aside until needed.
For the pie
- Generously brush a 35x40 cm baking pan with olive oil.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough in to the pan. Place it in the middle of the pan and laying it out towards the edge, making sure the sides are covered also.
- Place another sheet in the pan, in exactly the same way but in the other direction, so that the bottom of the pan is completely covered.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Do not brush the phyllo making direct contact with the pastry brush.
- Lay out half of the sheets of phyllo over them, drizzling each one with olive oil to create the bottom crust. Reserve 3 sheets for the top crust.
- Spread the filling evenly over the bottom crust, smoothing the surface nicely.
- You can sprinkle your choice of herbs over it.
- Lay out the remaining phyllo sheets over the filling. Add them one at a time and drizzle each one with olive oil in the same manner as before.
- Fold the edges inward and brush the whole surface with olive oil, using up all of the remaining olive oil.
- Score in to 12 pieces. If you are having difficulty in doing this, refrigerate for 10 minutes so it can cool, making it easier to cut.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place on the highest rack in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes , until golden and crunchy.
- When ready, remove from oven.
- Set it aside to cool for 10 minutes before cutting in to pieces.
- You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with some fresh oregano, freshly ground pepper and serve!
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by