This is a traditional Cypriot recipe called “Kolokotes” made with raisins and bulgur.
We’d like to thank our members THE FELLA TWINS for this recipe.
For the filling
- Remove the peel from the pumpkin and cut into 2x2 cm cubes. Place them in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a pan, add the olive oil, sunflower oil and finely chopped onion. Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, until they soften and turn light golden.
- Add the bulgur and vermicelli noodles. Sauté until golden. Remove from heat and add to the bowl with the sautéed pumpkin.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the filling, apart from the raisins. Mix until all of the ingredients are completely combined.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight. (The pumpkin will release all of its juices and the bulgur will absorb them.) The following day, add the raisins and set aside until needed.
For the dough
- In a large bowl, combine the hard flour, soft flour, olive oil and sunflower oil. Rub mixture in between your fingers until it resembles wet sand.
- Make a small well in the center and add the lukewarm water, salt, vinegar and orange juice. Knead until you create a smooth and elastic dough.
- Shape into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate and allow it to rest for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and cut into small pieces. Take 1 piece and cover the rest with a towel so they won’t dry out. Knead the piece of dough on a lightly floured working surface and then roll out into a thin sheet.
- Use a round 10 cm cookie cutter to cut out dough.
- Add a large spoonful of the filling over each circle. Keep a small bowl full of water next to you and brush the circumference of each circle of dough. Fold the circle in half to create half-moons. Press down on the edges with a fork to seal.
- Repeat the same process to make the rest.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper, leaving 2-3 mm of space between them. Lightly brush with some orange juice.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until nice and golden.
- When ready, remove from oven. Sprinkle with poppy seeds, drizzle with balsamic cream and serve.