- 1 kilo white button mushrooms
- 80 g olive oil
- 3 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tomatoes (500 g)
- ½ bunch mint
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 300 g gruyere cheese (optional)
- 50 g olive rounds
- 700 g country phyllo dough (thicker sheets)
- 120 g olive oil, for brushing
- sesame seeds, for sprinkling
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Place a pan over high heat and let it get very hot.
- Quarter the mushrooms.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan along with ¼ of the mushrooms. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the mushrooms to remove extra moisture.
- Place the pan back over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and another ¼ of the mushrooms.
- Drain and follow the same process until all of the mushrooms are sautéed.
- Place the same pan over high heat and let it get very hot.
- Cut the onion into 0.5 cm slices.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the hot pan and add the onions.
- Sauté for 4-5 minutes until they are nicely caramelized.
- Thinly slice the garlic and add it to the pan.
- Cut the tomatoes in half. Remove the stems and squeezed them so that only the flesh remains and then cut them into 0.5 cm cubes.
- Transfer the drained mushrooms to a large bowl and add the tomatoes.
- Finely chop the mint and add it to the bowl along with the thyme.
- Add the sautéed onion and garlic, gruyere, olive rounds, salt and pepper.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until all of the ingredients are completely combined. Your filling is ready.
- Brush a 25x35 cm baking pan with olive oil and add a sheet of phyllo dough.
- Drizzle with olive oil and cover with another sheet.
- Repeat the same process once more to complete the bottom crust.
- Add 1/3 of the filling and spread it evenly with a spoon.
- Cover with a sheet of phyllo, drizzle with olive oil and spread another 1/3 of the filling over it.
- Cover with another sheet of phyllo, drizzle with olive oil and spread the final 1/3 of the filling over it.
- Cover with 3 sheets of phyllo dough making sure to drizzle each sheet added with olive oil as you did for the bottom crust.
- Turn the edges that are hanging over the baking pan inward and brush them with olive oil as well as the whole surface of the pie.
- Score into 9 pieces, making sure not to cut all the way down to the bottom.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and place on the highest rack in the oven.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes.
- When ready, remove from oven and allow the pie to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information per portion
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.