- 1 package rustic phyllo dough (thick phyllo dough)
- 1 kilo mushrooms
- 2-3 onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 can tomato sauce with olives (400 g)
- olive oil
- sesame seeds, optional
Rustic Vegan Mushroom Pie
Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Thinly slice the onions, mushrooms and garlic.
- Heat a large, wide pot over high heat. Add some olive oil and sauté the onions until they soften and turn slightly golden.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, until they start to release their aroma.
- Add the mushrooms and some more olive oil. Sauté for 2 minutes. Season with some salt (1/2 a teaspoon). Continue to sauté until all of the mushroom juices evaporate.
- This may take 10 minutes or more. It will depend on how wide your pot is.
- When all of the juices evaporate, add the sauce. Stir and add some pepper and a generous amount of finely chopped parsley.
- Transfer filling to a bowl and allow to cool while you prepare the phyllo for the pie.
- Brush a baking pan with some oil. Spread 2 sheets of phyllo on the bottom of the pan. Since the filling is quite wet, we want it to thicken between many sheets of phyllo instead of adding breadcrumbs to the mixture.
- So, we will be adding some filling over every sheet of phyllo we spread in the baking pan.
- To complete the pie, spread a sheet of phyllo that is in perfect shape. Brush with some olive oil and sprinkle with some sesame seeds to make it look nice (optional).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until both the top and bottom of our mushroom pie cooks properly and turns golden brown.
- Allow it to cool for a bit, cut into pieces and serve.
Brush each sheet of phyllo dough with a generous amount of olive oil!!!
Rate this recipe You need to login