- Preheat oven to 190* C (374* F) Fan.
For the dough
- Beat the cream cheese and butter for 2-3 minutes in a mixer, until light and fluffy.
- Combine the flour and salt and add it to the mixer.
- Beat just long enough to combine. The flour should not be beaten for long.
- The dough created will be very, very soft.
- When ready, divide the dough in half and shape in to 2 balls.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours so it can chill.
- While the dough is chilling, prepare the filling.
For the filling
- Place a nonstick pan over medium to high heat.
- Add the olive oil.
- Coarsely chop the spring onions and add them to the pan.
- Sauté until they soften.
- Tear apart the spinach with your hands and add it to the pan.
- Stir and sauté until all of its juices evaporate.
- When ready, transfer to a bowl.
- Roughly chop the mint and add it to the bowl.
- Add the dill, lemon zest, crumbled feta, cream cheese, pepper and salt.
- Mix and the filling for the pie is ready.
For the spinach and herb pie
- When the dough has rested and chilled, roll out each piece in to a circular sheet that is 40 cm in diameter, using a generous amount of flour to help you. The circles do not have to be completely round…
- Spread one of the sheets on the bottom of a 30 cm round baking pan, letting some of the sheet of dough hang over the edge of the pan.
- Add the filling and spread it evenly over the dough.
- Cover with the second sheet of dough.
- Seal the edges along the circumference.
- Brush the surface of the dough with the prepared egg yolk.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, placing it on the highest rack in the oven so that the pie can bake evenly on both top and bottom.