- 600 g gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 7 g yeast, gluten-free
- 250 g water
- 120 g granulated sugar
- 50 g olive oil
- 4 eggs, medium
- 1 egg yolk, diluted in 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon(s) almond slivers
Gluten-free Greek sweet bread - Tsoureki
Diet based on cereals, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits and other animal foods such as honey and eggs. Excludes meat, fish, mollusks.
Gluten Free Diet
Excludes foods containing gluten, such as wheat, barley, rye and their by-products.
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- In a bowl add the flour, the xanthan gum, the salt, and mix with a spoon.
- In a mixer’s bowl add the yeast, the water, the sugar, and whisk until the yeast is dissolved. Set aside for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- At the same time, in another bowl, whisk the olive oil with the eggs until homogenized.
- Pour the egg mixture into the mixer’s bowl and beat with the paddle attachment at medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients in batches, and beat for about 5 minutes until there is a uniform mixture.
- If the dough sticks to the sides of the bowl, turn off the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Keep beating for 1 more minute.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Leave it at room temperature for 1 hour until it slightly rises.
- Divide the dough into two pieces. You will prepare 2 tsourekia.
- Cut each half into four even pieces and shape them into strips, about 50 cm each.
- In order to create a beautiful braid, connect firstly all the ends of the strips. It will help you give each strip a number, 1-2-3-4.
- Fold the 4 dough strip over the 2 dough strip.
- Dough strip 1 over dough strip 3, and strip 2 over strip 3.
- Repeat this process as many times as necessary to create a beautiful braid.
- Transfer to a baking pan lined with parchment paper and follow the same process for the second tsoureki.
- Preheat the oven to 170ο C (340ο F) set to fan.
- Cover the tsourekia with a tea towel and let them rise for about 30 minutes.
- Brush them with the egg wash and sprinkle the almond slivers on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the tsourekia are golden.
- Remove the baking pan from the oven, let the sweet breads cool, and serve.
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by