Special Thanks to our member Μάνια Πολυχρονοπούλου for this delicious recipe!!!
For the syrup:
- Combine the sugar, water, cognac, cinnamon stick and 3 lemon rinds in a saucepan.
- Place saucepan over low heat. As soon as the mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat. Add the sprig of rosemary and the juice from 1 lemon.
- Set aside to cool completely.
For the almond cake:
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, ground cinnamon, ground cloves and 1 teaspoon bitter almond extract in a mixer, until all of the ingredients are completely combined.
- Melt the butter in a microwave, for 1 minute set at 800 watts, making sure you do not burn it.
- As soon as the mixture becomes fluffy, add the melted butter and beat for 10”.
- Add the cognac, baking powder, ground almonds, breadcrumbs and 1 pinch of salt. Beat to combine.
- Line a 20x30 cm spring form pan with parchment paper, letting the ends hang out. Grease with butter and add the batter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- When ready, remove from oven and make little holes in the cake.
- Pour the cool syrup over the cake.
- Set it aside for 1 hour to let it soak up all of the syrup and serve the following day.