Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
- Preheat oven to 160* C (320* F) Fan.
- Grease a round 28 cm cake pan.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the sugar and salt and simmer for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and pour into cake pan. Place the apple slices over the caramel. Arrange them to slightly cover one another at the edge and fill the empty spaces with the leftover apple slices.
For the cake:
- Beat the butter and sugar in a mixer over medium speed. Gradually turn up the speed until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, grape molasses, honey and buttermilk.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger powder and ground cinnamon into a separate bowl.
- Add the 2 mixtures to the mixer in batches and alternating between the two. Make sure is batch that is added is completely incorporated in the mixture before adding the next.
- Pour batter over apples in cake pan.
- Bake for at least 45-50 minutes. Insert a knife into the center of the cake and if it comes out clean and dry the cake is ready.
- Remove from oven and allow it to cool for at least 15 minutes before you turn it out onto a serving platter that is deep enough to hold all of the juices the cake will release.
- Serve with a slightly unsweetened whipped cream