For the meringues
- Preheat the oven to 90ο C (190ο F) set to fan.
- In a mixer’s bowl add the egg whites, salt, and beat with the whisk attachment at high speed.
- Add the granulated sugar into 4 batches and keep beating until the meringue is firm and the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the icing sugar and beat at low speed for a few seconds, so that the meringue’s volume does not decrease.
- Transfer to a pastry bag and shape 24 meringues (2-3 cm each) into a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake them for 1- 1 ½ hour until crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
For the caramelized almonds
- Place a frying pan over medium heat and add a batch of the sugar.
- Once it starts melting, add the second batch of the sugar, and let it melt. Follow the same process for two to three more batches.
- Once you add the last batch, stir with a silicone spatula and add the almonds. Stir to coat the almonds with the caramel and transfer them to a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Let them cool well. Attention, do not touch the mixture as it is too hot!
For the cream
- Αdd the heavy cream into a mixer’s bowl and beat it with the whisk attachment until there is a firm whipped cream. Transfer it to a bowl and set it aside.
- In the same mixer’s bowl add the dairy-free heavy cream, the sweetened condensed milk, and beat with the whisk attachment until the mixture is combined and becomes whipped cream.
- Transfer it to the bowl with the whipped cream and mix softly with a silicone spatula so that the volume does not decrease.
- Crush 16 meringues with your hands and add them into the mixture. Add the almonds coarsely chopped, the chocolate, the orange zest, the vanilla extract, and mix softly with a silicone spatula.
- Line a 10x35 cm loaf tin with plastic wrap and spread the whole mixture in it. Cover with plastic wrap and lightly bang the loaf tin on your kitchen counter to remove any air bubbles and spread the mixture evenly.
- Transfer to the freezer until chilled well.
- Melt the rest of the chocolate over a bain-marie and spread it over the frozen dessert.
- Decorate with the remaining meringues and serve.