- 1/2 cups olive oil
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- 2 cups semolina
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cloves
- 150 g almond slivers
- 1 orange
- water, to boil orange
Semolina Orange Cake – Halvah
Diet based on cereals, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits and other animal foods such as honey and eggs. Excludes meat, fish, mollusks.
Diet based on vegetables, legumes and green leaves. It excludes foods such as meat, fish, mollusks, dairy products, eggs, honey and their by-products.
Dairy Free Diet
Excludes foods such as milk, yoghurt, cheese and their by-products.
Egg Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to this food.
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
A semolina cake is called a halvah. This particular recipe has a wonderful aroma of orange. If you want to make the original halvah, follow the same recipe procedure, just leave out the steps including the orange!
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Toast the almonds in a shallow pan lined with parchment paper. Toast in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Boil the orange in a generous amount of water (not the 4 cups of water in the ingredients), for 1 hour. Make sure there is enough water to keep the orange submerged while boiling. Add more water if necessary. Allow to cool. Cut in half, and squeeze. Remove any seeds and puree in a blender. Set aside.
- Use a non-stick pot and sauté the semolina and the aromatics in the oil, over medium heat, until it browns. Be careful not to burn it.
- Add the remaining ingredients, (4 cups water, 3 cups sugar) along with the orange puree. Do not add the almonds. Stir for about 10 minutes, until it thickens.
- You will know it’s ready when it starts to pull away on its own from the bottom of the pan (when you tilt the pan a little to the side). When it is ready, add the almonds and mix. (if it looks like it might burn, lower the heat.)
- Press the mixture into a 20 cm cake pan and remove it after 5 minutes! You can it eat hot or cold and you can always add a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Keep a close eye on the semolina while cooking. If it looks like it might burn, simply lower the heat!
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by