For the crème patisserie
- In a saucepan add the milk except for 100 g, half of the sugar, and transfer over medium heat until the mixture heats up.
- In a bowl add the egg yolks, the remaining sugar, and mix well with a hand whisk. Add the vanilla extract, the rest of the milk, the cornstarch, and mix.
- Remove the flesh from the passion fruits, add them into a sieve, and press with a spatula until they extract their whole juice, and only their seeds are left.
- Slowly transfer the saucepan’s mixture into the bowl with the eggs and constantly mix with a hand whisk. Add the whole mixture into the saucepan, add the juice of the passion fruits, and transfer over medium heat. Mix until the cream thickens.
- Remove from the heat, add the salt, the butter, and mix until the butter melts.
- Transfer into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1-2 hours until the cream cools well. Make sure that the plastic wrap touches the cream’s surface, so that it won’t make a crust.
For the puff pastry sheets
- Preheat the oven to 200ο C (390ο F) set to fan.
- Spread the puff pastry sheets onto your working surface.
- With a 27 cm plate, cut a round piece of each puff pastry sheet.
- Sprinkle both sides of the puff pastry with sugar, and prick the whole surface with a fork.
- Bake the puff pastry for 15-20 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool well.
For the glaze
- Place a bowl over a pot with boiling water, so to create a bain-marie.
- Add the passionfruit seeds into the bowl along with the butter, the icing sugar, and the yellow food coloring paste.
- Let the ingredients melt and become homogenized.
For the whipped cream
- In a mixer’s bowl add the ice-cold heavy cream and beat it with the whisk attachment until it thickens and becomes a whipped cream.
- Remove and set aside.
- In a mixer’s bowl add the ice-cold crème patisserie and beat with the whisk attachment at medium speed, for 1-2 minutes, until fluffy.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer, add the whipped cream, and mix softly with a spatula so that it won’t decrease in volume.
- Add one puff pastry piece into a 25 cm round cake pan.
- Spread the whole crème patisserie, cover with another puff pastry piece, and press softly with your hands.
- Spread the whole glaze on top, and refrigerate for 2-3 hours to thicken.
- Remove and serve with mint leaves.