For the syrup
- The syrup should be prepared 3-4 hours before you start making the cookies because the syrup needs to have cooled completely before pouring it over the freshly baked cookies.
- Place a pot over high heat.
- Add all of the ingredients for the syrup, apart from the honey and bring to a boil.
- As soon as it comes to a boil, remove from heat and add the honey.
- Stir to incorporate and set syrup aside to cool completely.
For the Christmas cookies
- Preheat oven to 190* C (370* F) Fan.
- In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients for the 1st mixture and whisk until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and semolina.
- Finely chop the chocolate couverture and add to the flour mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently stir with your hands for about 10 seconds at the most so it doesn’t split. If you stir any longer, all of the oil from the mixture will start to ooze out and will ruin the texture of the cookies.
- When ready, shape the mixture into cookies that are 3-4 cm in diameter and 25-30 g each, making sure they are as evenly shaped as possible.
- Gently press on each cookie with a spider or a fork to press down on them a little to impress them and give them a more oval shape which is very characteristic of melomakarona.
- Transfer to 2 baking pans lined with parchment paper.
- Bake each baking pan separately for about 20 minutes, until they turn golden and crunchy.
- When ready, remove from oven and drop the cookies immediately into the cool syrup. Allow to soak for 10-15 seconds.
- Remove from syrup and let them drain and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve the Christmas cookies drizzled with honey and sprinkled with walnuts.