For the batter
- Sift the flour, the sugar, the cinnamon, and the salt into a large bowl.
- In another bowl mix the milk with the egg using a hand whisk, until they are homogenized.
- Combine the two mixtures with the whisk and mix until there is a smooth batter.
For the syrup
- Mix all of the ingredients with a hand whisk, until the sugar is dissolved.
For the apple fritter rings
- Peel the apples, core them and remove the seeds. Cut the stem and the base of the apples, and then cut each one into 8 thin rounds.
- In a pot, add plenty of oil (3-4 cm deep), let it get very hot and reach 180°C (350° F).
- Dip each apple slice firstly into the syrup and then into the batter, letting the extra batter drip off.
- Fry the apple rings by carefully flipping them over once-twice, until they are fluffy and golden, for about 5 minutes.
- Remove them from the pot and put them in a baking pan lined with paper towels.
- Dust with icing sugar, cinnamon, and serve with ice cream.