For the toffee sauce
- Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat. It should be lukewarm to warm.
- Place a pot over medium-low heat.
- Add 1/10 of the sugar into the pot and let it melt, until it starts becoming a caramel.
- Add another 1/10 of the sugar into the pot.
- Follow the same process until the sugar melts.
- Once the sugar turns into caramel, lower the heat to low.
- Slowly pour the heavy cream in batches, while whisking at the same time. Be careful as the caramel has a very high temperature and you could get burnt while pouring the cream.
- Whisk and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the toffee sauce slightly thickens and there are no caramel bits onto the sides of the pot.
- Remove the pot from the heat and set the toffee sauce aside to cool.
For the caramel ice cream
- Beat the heavy cream in a mixer’s bowl with the whisk attachment, for 3-4 minutes, until you have a fluffy whipped cream.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer.
- Mix the cream cheese with the toffee sauce (cooled) into a bowl, until there is a uniform mixture.
- Add the whipped cream into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients, and mix softly with a silicone spatula.
- Pour the mixture into a 10x30 cm bowl and transfer it to the freezer for at least 4 hours, until the ice cream is chilled.
For the grilled bananas
- Preheat the barbecue.
- Use a knife to cut the bananas lengthwise, without removing the peel.
- In a bowl, whisk the butter, the sugar, the maple syrup, and the rum.
- Use a pastry brush to spread the mixture on the bananas, on the side you cut them.
- Place the bananas on heat, cut-side facing down.
- Grill them for 2 minutes, until golden.
- Carefully flip the bananas over and grill them for 5 minutes, until the flesh of the bananas is soft.
- Remove the bananas from the heat.
- Serve with the caramel ice cream, drizzle with the toffee sauce, and -optionally- sprinkle with finely chopped chocolate.