Preheat oven to 190* C (374* F) Fan.
For the bananas
- Cut the bananas in half lengthwise and then into pieces.
- In a pan, add the sugar and bananas. Cook just until they turn golden on both sides. You don’t want to over cook them or stir them or else they will turn into completely melt.
- At this point you can add any spices you choose.
- Add the butter and let it melt, making sure it is distributed everywhere. Set aside for5 minutes.
- Cover the bottom of a 25x27 cm baking pan with the caramelized bananas. If it is not a non-stick baking pan, brush with some butter and spread the bananas out evenly in the baking pan.
- Sprinkle with some sugar.
For the crumble
- In a large bowl, add the pieces of butter, flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Knead to combine and rub the mixture between your fingers until it becomes like wet sand. Spread over bananas.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- When ready, remove from oven and immediately turn out, upside down on to a serving platter before the caramel gets cold. Carefully remove the pan.
- Serve with melted chocolate.
For the chocolate
- Place the chocolate in a bowl.
- Melt the chocolate over a pot of simmering water (a bain marie) and stir until smooth and shiny.
- Remove from heat and stir.