We want to thank our member Maria Ktena for her wonderful summer idea for Mojito flavored cupcakes!
For the batter:
- Combine the milk, a tablespoon of rum and vanilla in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix with a spoon to combine.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer using medium to high speed and the whisk attachment. Beat for about 4-5 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Turn the speed down and add the eggs one at a time, making sure each addition is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Preheat oven to 170-180* C (338*-356* F) Fan.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the mixer and beat. Add ½ of the milk mixture. Add another 1/3 of the dry mixture and the other half of the milk mixture. Complete with the final 1/3 of the dry ingredients. Beat after every addition to combine.
- Beat for a few seconds more, just until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated. Do not overbeat.
- Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Fill liners 2/3 of the way with batter, no higher.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
For the syrup:
- Heat the sugar, water and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. As soon as the mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat.
- Add the rum, lime juice and mint leaves to the syrup. Stir and set aside for 5 minutes.
- As soon as the cupcakes are ready, remove them from the oven. Set aside to cool for 2-3 minutes. Use a toothpick to make a few little holes in each cupcake so they can absorb the syrup easily.
- Pour the syrup carefully over the cupcakes. 1-2 tablespoons of syrup for each cupcake. Remove from pan and allow to cool on wire rack.
For the frosting:
- Combine the cream cheese, icing sugar, lime juice and a few drops of food coloring.
- Transfer frosting to a piping tube.
- When the cupcakes are completely cool, decorate each cupcake with frosting.
- If you want to embellish them further, you can sprinkle with colored sugar or add a piece of lime and a mint leaf over each cupcake.