For the muffins
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Beat the egg whites in a mixer with the whisk attachment, until you create a meringue, but don’t make it too stiff.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Without cleaning out the mixer’s bowl, beat the sugar, butter and honey in the mixer until light and fluffy.
- Remove mixing bowl from stand, add the flour and finely ground hazelnuts and fold with a spatula until completely combined.
- Add 1/3 of the meringue and mix well with spatula.
- Add the rest of the meringue in 2 batches, gently folding with the spatula.
- Do NOT overmix so that you don’t lose the meringue’s volume.
- Transfer to 10-15 muffin tins that have been lined with cupcake liners.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until you insert a toothpick and it comes out dry and clean.
- When ready, remove from oven and set aside to cool completely.
For the chocolate hazelnut mousse
- Melt the chocolate in a bain marie or microwave.
- Let it cool to about body temperature…..37* C (98* F).
- In the meantime, beat the heavy cream and vanilla in a mixer using the whisk attachment, until it becomes a nice and thick whipped cream.
- To the melted chocolate, add 1/3 of the whipped cream and vigorously stir with a spatula until completely incorporated. It is important for the chocolate to have cooled so that the whipped cream doesn’t split from the heat.
- Then add the chocolate-cream mixture to the rest of the whipped cream and gently fold with a spatula.
- Transfer mixture to a piping bag and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes before piping it over the muffins.
- When ready, pipe the mousse nicely over the muffins and dust with icing sugar.