For the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 180* C (350* F) Fan.
- Grind down the mastic, mahlab, nutmeg and granulated sugar with a mortar and pestle until finely ground.
- In a mixer’s bowl, add the butter at room temperature, icing sugar and the ground aromatics.
- Add the orange zest and vanilla extract. Beat until the mixture is fluffy. Add the eggs and beat.
- Remove mixer’s bowl from stand and add the milk, flour and baking powder. Mix with a spatula until all the ingredients are completely combined.
- Transfer mixture to cupcake pan lined with cupcake liners. Add the New Year’s lucky coin in one of them.
- Tap the cupcake pan to level the mixture and bake for 25-30 minutes.
For the buttercream frosting
- Beat the butter at room temperature, icing sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Transfer cupcakes to a serving platter and tie together with a festive ribbon.
- Spread the buttercream frosting over the surface of all of the cupcakes. Top with chocolate decorations and cocoa powder.