Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
- Dry off the chicken breasts with some paper towels and generously season with salt and pepper. Add a tablespoon of butter in a wide, heavy pan or skillet. Sauté the chicken over medium heat in 2 batches. Brown on both sides. Remove from pan and transfer to a plate. Keep them warm.
- Remove all of the fat from the pan apart from 1 tablespoonful. Sauté the onions in this, over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until they release all of their liquid and it evaporates.
- Add the madeira (greek wine mavrodafni or any sweet wine) and continue to cook until almost all of the wine reduces.
- Add the chicken stock and the chicken and whatever juices have collected in the plate. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until done. Turn the chicken over once while cooking.
- Let the sauce simmer until it reduces. Remove from heat. Add the remaining butter and let it melt slowly, stirring gently.
- Serve the chicken along with the salad, basmati rice and sprinkle with parsley.