- 500 g beef steaks, boneless, cut into 5 mm thick slices
- 15 ml soy sauce
- 25 ml fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon(s) granulated sugar
- 2-4 chili peppers, finely chopped
- 5 clove(s) of garlic
- 2 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- 1 onion, cut into thin rounds
- 4 lime leaves, cut into very thin strips (cut them after removing the central vein) + extra to serve
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 100 g basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- basmati rice, boiled, optionally to serve
Basil beef with red chili
Gluten Free Diet
Excludes foods containing gluten, such as wheat, barley, rye and their by-products.
Dairy Free Diet
Excludes foods such as milk, yoghurt, cheese and their by-products.
Egg Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to this food.
Nuts Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to nuts.
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- In a bowl add the meat with half of the soy sauce, half of the fish sauce, the granulated sugar, mix well, and refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes or -even better- overnight.
- In a mortar and pestle add half of the chili peppers, half of the garlic, the brown sugar, and crush them until there is a paste.
- Add the rest of the soy sauce and fish sauce to the mortar and pestle.
- Mix until there is a thick sauce and set it aside until needed.
- At the same time, in a bowl mix the onion, the lime leaves, the rest of the garlic, the chili peppers, and set them aside until needed.
- Place a wok over high heat until it gets very hot, and add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add half of the meat and sauté until slightly cooked.
- Remove the meat from the wok and add it to a bowl.
- Add the rest of the olive oil and the meat into the wok, and follow the same process.
- After the meat is cooked, add the prepared meat to the wok, as well as the onion, the garlic, and the chili peppers that have been crushed in the mortar and pestle with the brown sugar.
- Sauté for 1 minute and add the sauce that you have prepared.
- Mix well and sauté until the moisture from the wok evaporates, without drying the meat though.
- Add the basil and the chili flakes.
- Remove the wok from the heat, add the spring onions and season with salt, if needed.
- If you want, serve the beef with rice and the remaining lime leaves.
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*The nutritional chart and the symbols refer to the basic recipe and not to the serving suggestions.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by