Sauerbraten is a German pot roast that can be made with a variety of meats. It is usually made with beef but it can be made with lamb, pork. Traditionally it was made with horse meat.
For the marinade
- In a pot, add all of the ingredients for the marinade, apart from the ginger and thyme.
- Place over high heat, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow marinade to cool for 30 minutes.
For the meat
- Transfer marinade to a deep bowl and add the meat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 160* C (320* F) Fan.
- Remove meat from the marinade and gently dab it with some paper towels, Add the ginger and dry thyme to the marinade.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep pot over medium to high heat.
- Season meat with salt and pepper. Add to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes on each side until golden.
- Quarter the onion, cut the celery into 3 pieces and chop the potatoes in half. Leave the carrots whole.
- Remove meat from pot and sauté the vegetables for 2-3 minutes, until light golden.
- Add the water, bouillon cube and the marinade. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and transfer contents to a 30x40 cm deep baking pan or to an ovenproof baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and roast for 30 minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 150* C (302* F) Fan and roast for another 2 hours.
- When ready, remove from oven and remove foil. Allow the meat to rest for 20 minutes before cutting into slices.
- Serve with vegetables and gravy.
For the gravy
- Pass the sauce from the pan through a sieve and transfer to a saucepan.
- Add the corn starch, mix to dissolve and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and drizzle over meat and vegetables.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme and serve.