- 120 g purslane
- 100 g apple cider vinegar
- 5 g salt, coarse
- 5 g granulated sugar
- 2 clove(s) of garlic
- 1/2 lemon
- 200 g water, from the boiled water mixture
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
Purslane is a very healthy plant. It tops the list of plants high in vitamin E and an essential omega-3 fatty acid called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Purslane provides six times more vitamin E than spinach and seven times more beta carotene than carrots. It’s also rich in vitamin C, magnesium, riboflavin, potassium and phosphorus. So eat up!
We would like to thank our dear friend Mary Patoula for this recipe that adds so much flavor to so many dishes.
- Wash the purslane very well and strain.
- Preheat the oven to 100* C 9212* F) Fan.
- Wash the jars and lids thoroughly. The water used should be as hot as your hand can bear. Immediately place them on the rack in the oven, with the opening facing downwards (they are sterilized properly in this way). Do not turn oven off. Let them “cook” until needed.
- In a small saucepan, add the apple cider vinegar, salt, sugar, 1 clove of garlic (crushed by hand) and ½ a lemon.
- Place saucepan over heat and bring to a boil. When the sugar and salt melt, remove from heat. Cover with a lid and set aside.
- In a wide pot, add about 1 ½ liters of water, the remaining clove of garlic (thinly grated) and place over high heat.
- When the water starts to boil vigorously, add the purslane. Blanche for 1-2 minutes.
- Reserve 200 g of the boiling water and drain.
- Immediately bring back the saucepan with the apple cider vinegar mixture. Squeeze the lemon into the saucepan and pass mixture through a thin sieve.
- Turn off the oven and carefully remove the jars with an oven mitt. Be careful because they are very hot. Place onto a clean towel.
- Immediately divide mixture evenly between the 2 jars. Then divide the blanched purslane between the 2 jars.
- Slowly fill jars with the reserved water all the way to the rim, if needed. Do this with a spoon. It may not need more than a few spoonfuls but it is important that enough liquid is added to just overflow. It will help the jars seal perfectly. Remove the lids from the oven and seal jars. Do this carefully because the liquid will run over a little. This is why you have to place a towel under the jars.
- As soon as the jars are sealed, turn them over and let them stand for 24 hours, until they cool completely.
Can be consumed 2 days after sealing in jar. Can be stored out of the refrigerator for 7-8 months if unopened. Once opened, they need to be stored in the refrigerator.
A perfect addition to grilled meats or fish. Finely chop some over your potato and garlic mash, Cretan dako salad or any salad. It can also be added to burgers and of course any type of legumes. They also add a lot of flavor to appetizers!
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by