- 350 g yellow split peas
- 1,5 liter stock, vegetable
- 3 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 onions, cut into 0.5 cm cubes
- 1-1/2 kilos potatoes, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 1 cauliflower, stem removed and cut into florets
- 3-4 clove(s) of garlic, mashed
- 2 teaspoon(s) turmeric
- 2 tablespoon(s) mustard, black seeds
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) fennel leaves, threads
- 1-2 chili peppers, small green seeds removed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) saffron, dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water
- 125 g coconut cream
- 2 tablespoon(s) coriander, chopped
Aromatic Potato and Cauliflower Stew
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
- Rinse the yellow lentils under cold running water. Drain and place in a large pot along with half of the vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. As soon as it comes to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until they soften and soak up all of the liquid.
- While the lentils are cooking, prepare the vegetables. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan.
- Add the onions and sauté for 8 minutes over low heat, while stirring continuously. Add the potatoes, cauliflower and garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric, mustard seeds, fennel seeds and chopped chilies. Stir. Add the remaining vegetable stock and saffron seeds and bring to a boil. As soon as it comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are done.
- As soon as the lentils are ready, puree them in a mill.
- Add the coconut cream and stir.
- Add the puree to the vegetables and stir to incorporate. This will thicken the mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until all of the aromas are combined.
- Serve immediately in bowls and sprinkle with some chopped coriander.
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by