For the cream
- Place a pot over low heat. Add the milk, half of the sugar, and let it come to a boil.
- In a bowl, add the rest of the sugar, the yolks, and mix very well with a hand whisk.
- Add the cornstarch, salt, vanilla, and mix.
- As soon as the milk boils, transfer it very slowly to the bowl with the yolks by constantly stirring.
- Add the whole mixture into the pot and transfer it on heat. Stir constantly until the cream thickens.
- Remove from the heat, add the butter, and stir until it melts.
- Transfer the cream into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate so that it cools well.
For the almond meringue cookies
- Preheat the oven to 160ο C (320ο F) set to fan.
- In a food processor, add the almonds, the sugar, and beat well until powdered. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- In a mixer’s bowl, add the egg whites, the salt, and beat with the whisk attachment at high speed for 5 minutes, until there is a thick meringue.
- Add the meringue into the bowl with the almonds and mix softly with a spatula.
- Transfer into a pastry bag and, on a baking pan lined with parchment paper, shape the cookies. You want each cookie’s diameter to be 2-3 cm.
- Put an almond in the center of each cookie and bake for 18-20 minutes. Let them cool well.
- Add the cream into the mixer’s bowl and beat for 1-2 minutes, until fluffy.
- Transfer into a pastry bag and spread some cream onto a cookie. Cover with another cookie in order to create a sandwich.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours and serve.