For the cookies
- In a mixer’s bowl add the salt, flour, icing sugar, vanilla extract, and the butter into pieces.
- Beat with the paddle attachment at medium speed, for about 2-3 minutes until your dough is formed. Do not overbeat the dough as your cookies won’t be crunchy and they will spread into the baking pan. This is the reason why you should soft flour that does not contain much gluten and that will make your cookies even crispier.
- Remove your dough from the mixer’s bowl. You can thicken it a little with your hands by kneading it lightly and shaping it into a ball.
- Wrap your dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until it thickens.
- After 1 hour, preheat the oven to 180°C (350° F) set to fan.
- Dust a little flour onto your working surface, cut a piece of your dough and set it onto the counter.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough until it is 3 mm thick. If needed, dust with a little more flour.
- Press the dough by using round 5-6 cm cookie cutters and shape your cookies.
- Place your cookies into two baking pans lined with parchment paper, closely next to each other.
- Follow the same process for the whole dough. You should get 25-30 cookies.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes.
- The cookies should be nicely golden when taken out of the oven, but not too hard.
- Remove them from the oven and allow 20 minutes for them to cool well.
For the icing
- With a spoon, mix the icing sugar with the water until they are homogenized and turned into a uniform paste. If the mixture is too thick, add a few drops of water and mix.
- Transfer the icing into a pastry bag and set aside until needed.
For the sugar paste bracelets
- On your working surface, roll out the white and red sugar paste into thin strips, 6 cm long.
- Take one white and one red sugar paste strip. Roll the two strips together so that the one color crosses the other. Tie the ends and form a two-color circle.
- With the icing, make a circle all around the edges of each cookie, place the sugar paste bracelet over it and stick it well.
- Serve your cookies.