- 300 g chickpeas, raw
- 1 liter water, + 500 g, optionally
Diet based on cereals, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits and other animal foods such as honey and eggs. Excludes meat, fish, mollusks.
Diet based on vegetables, legumes and green leaves. It excludes foods such as meat, fish, mollusks, dairy products, eggs, honey and their by-products.
Gluten Free Diet
Excludes foods containing gluten, such as wheat, barley, rye and their by-products.
Dairy Free Diet
Excludes foods such as milk, yoghurt, cheese and their by-products.
Egg Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to this food.
Nuts Free Diet
It is usually followed when someone is allergic to nuts.
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- Add the chickpeas in a large bowl and cover them with plenty of water. Allow 8 hours for them to soak. Your bowl should be large enough as the chickpeas will double in volume.
- After 8 hours, drain the chickpeas and discard the water.
- Transfer the chickpeas into a pot and add 1 liter of water. Optionally, add another 500 g water in case the chickpeas are not completely covered.
- Place the pot over high heat until the water starts boiling. Then, lower the heat to medium-low and with a slotted spoon, skim off the foam.
- Simmer for 45-55 minutes until the chickpeas are tender.
- Place a colander over a clean pot.
- Drain the chickpeas and keep the water. Set the chickpeas aside, inside a bowl.
- Transfer the pot with the water over medium heat and boil for 15 minutes until about half of the water is evaporated.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the aquafaba cool well. As it will be cooling down, it will look more and more like egg white, in texture.
- Optionally, if you beat the aquafaba in the mixer with the whisk attachment at high speed for 4-5 minutes, you will have a thick vegan meringue.
- You can store the aquafaba in your refrigerator for 3 days, inside a bowl with a lid.
- You can use the boiled chickpeas to make hummus, a salad, or any other recipe that you like.