- 1 liter stock, vegetable
- 4 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 25 g ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin, seeds
- 2 pods cardamom, crushed
- 300 g basmati rice
- 2 beetroots, large, along with stems and leaves
- 1/2-1 chili pepper, finely chopped
- juice, of 1/2 lemon
Spicy Beetroot Rice
Αdd to my “Recipe Book”
Need to login
- Simmer the 1 liter of vegetable stock in a pot, keeping it warm.
- In a large pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the finely chopped onion. Sauté for 7 minutes over medium heat.
- Add 25 g of grated ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the teaspoon of black cumin seeds and 2 crushed cardamom seeds.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and add 300 g basmati rice. Add half of the simmering vegetable stock and stir. Cover pan with lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Peel 2 large beetroots. Finely chop the stems and coarsely chop the leaves. Transfer to a strainer and wash off any dirt.
- Grate the beetroots on a cheese grater. Add it to the pan and along with the remaining vegetable stock. Cover with lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry ½ - 1 chili pepper for 1-2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the beetroot stems and leaves along with the juice of ½ a lemon.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and your rice is ready to serve.
Nutrition information per portion
Shows how much energy food releases to our bodies. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day.
Are essential to give energy to the body while helping to maintain the body temperature. They are divided into saturated "bad" fats and unsaturated "good" fats.
Known as "bad" fats are mainly found in animal foods. It is important to check and control on a daily basis the amount you consume.
The main source of energy for the body. Great sources are the bread, cereals and pasta. Use complex carbohydrates as they make you feel satiated while they have higher nutritional value.
Try to consume sugars from raw foods and limit processed sugar. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily.
It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. You can find it in meat, fish, dairy, eggs, pulses, nuts and seeds.
They are mainly found in plant foods and they can help regulate a good bowel movement while maintaining a balanced weight. Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily.
A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily
*Based on an adult’s daily reference intake of 2000 kcal.
*To calculate nutritional table data, we use software by