For the syrup
- In a pot, add the sugar and water, and transfer it over high heat.
- As soon as it comes to a boil and the sugar melts, remove and set aside to cool.
For the sweet semolina cake
- Preheat the oven to 180ο C (356ο F) set to fan.
- In a mixer’s bowl, add the sugar, eggs, vanilla, and beat with the whisk attachment at high speed, for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture becomes fluffy.
- Lower the speed, add the sunflower oil slowly, beat for a few seconds until the ingredients homogenize, and then remove from the mixer.
- In a bowl, add the semolina, flour, baking powder, coffee, salt, and mix with a spoon.
- Add the solid ingredients into the mixer’s bowl with the rest of the ingredients, and mix softly with a ladle.
- Spread butter and semolina onto a 25x32 cm baking pan, and then add the mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and for as long as it’s hot, pour the cold syrup with a ladle.
- Set aside for 30 minutes until the whole syrup is absorbed.
For the frosting
- In a bowl, add the mascarpone, icing sugar, and vanilla. Mix well with a spoon until the ingredients homogenize.
- Transfer into a pastry bag.
- Decorate the sweet semolina cake with the frosting, mint leaves, and serve.