Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions, potatoes, garlic and carrots. Cook for 5-8 minutes, until the vegetables start to turn light golden.
- Add the Chinese lettuce and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the water or stock. Turn up heat and bring to a boil. When it starts to boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until the lettuce softens.
- Remove from heat and set it aside to cool for 15 minutes. Add the rocket.
- Beat the mixture in a food processor until it is smooth. Season to taste.
- When smooth, heat the soup again over low heat.
- Serve in bowls and top with chili thread. Serve with smoked salmon.