- 400 g spinach
- 400 g cuttlefish, cleaned
- 1 onion, large
- 4-5 spring onions
- 1 leek
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1 carrot
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes, grated
- some grated orange and lemon zest
- ½ glass orange juice
- fresh ginger (the size of a walnut), grated (optional)
- ½ bunch parsley, finely chopped
- ½ bunch dill, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons rice, Carolina or Arborio
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 glasses of water (1+1)
Cuttlefish with Spinach Rice
- Wash and clean the spinach and blanch it in boiling water for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a strainer, set it aside and let it drain.
- Wash and clean the cuttlefish and cut into pieces.
- Finely chop the onion, spring onions, leek and garlic.
- Grate the carrot using the large blades of a grater.
- Place a pot over heat and let it get hot.
- Add the olive oil and the vegetables. Sauté a little.
- Add the pieces of cuttlefish, tomato paste, orange zest, lemon zest and grated ginger. Stir and sauté.
- Add the orange juice, grated tomato and one of the glasses of water.
- Cover pot with lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes over low heat.
- When ready, add the spinach, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Make 4-5 wells in the mixture and add the rice to the wells.
- Cover filled wells with the mixture and add the parsley and dill.
- Add the other glass of water if there is no liquid, cover pot and simmer for 20-25 minutes over low heat.
- When ready, mix to distribute the rice and serve.
- You can also add some lemon juice and serve it with Akis’ Olive Rolls or Whole Wheat Olive Bread.
Rate this recipe You need to login