- 500 g shrimp, frozen and peeled
- 500 g fusilli pasta
- 1 jar tomato sauce for pasta
- fresh basil
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- some ouzo
- grated zest and juice of ½ lemon or lime
- olive oil
Fusilli with shrimps in a tomato basil sauce
Photo credit: G. Drakopoulos - Food Styling: T. Webb
- Place the shrimp in a bowl and drizzle with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss lightly and sauté in a hot non-stick pan for 2 minutes, until browned on all sides.
- While the shrimp are cooking, beat the garlic clove along with3-4 tablespoons of olive oil in a blender. Blend until pureed. Add the puree to the pan and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add 1-3 shots of ouzo, depending on how much you like the taste. Light it up in the pan with a match. Be very careful doing this. Take all the necessary precautions before do. If you still don’t feel comfortable doing it, just allow the alcohol to evaporate completely.
- You should be boiling the pasta at the same time. Put the pasta in a pot with boiling, salted water. Boil them 2 minutes less than the instructions given on the box
- Reserve some pasta water to help making the sauce. Drain the pasta.
- Add the sauce in the pan with the sautéed shrimp. Stir while it the sauce warms, for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the pasta. Toss and add some of the reserved pasta water, if necessary.
- Remove from heat. Add the grated lemon or lime zest and juice. Top with a generous amount of finely chopped fresh basil.
Don’t mix this dish too much so that the shrimps don’t break apart!
Rate this recipe You need to login