"His recipes are always successful!" - This is something that most people know about Akis and the first thing to say about him. Until he conquered it, however, it took several years of hard work, many dreams, and even more successful goals. Akis was born and raised in Thessaloniki, from which he left when he turned 18 to study accounting in Athens. Everything was good with accounting, but it was certainly not what he dreamed of doing in his life. So, he decided to pursue his dream which was not in the offices, but in the kitchens and -in fact- not only in Greek ones, but in the kitchens of the whole world!
The road to knowledge…
The starting point of this new beginning was his studies at the culinary school "Le Monde", which went hand in hand with his studies in accounting. Upon completion of his studies, Akis' professional career in the field of cooking begins. At first in various restaurants and hotels in Greece, and then in England with the culmination of the first steps of his career in the kitchen of the famous hotel "The Goring".
In 2010, Akis is back in Greece and specifically in the well-known game show on MEGA channel called "The Master Chef", through which he emerges as the first Greek Master Chef. From 2012 and for the next 2 years, he holds the position of Head Chef at the restaurant of chef Michel Roux - the Avenue Bistro at the Metropolitan Hotel.
Akis’ television success
From that moment on, Akis started a series of shows both on TV and on his YouTube channel, which aimed to make people love homemade food, get into their kitchen and dare to create easy, as well as more demanding recipes. They all had a common secret of success: tried and tested recipes, ideal for those taking their first steps in cooking, but also for those looking for "something more" in their cooking. In detail…
- From 2010 to 2014, Akis has his own cooking section on MEGA channel’s morning show called “My breakfast”.
- From 2014 to 2015, Akis hosts his own travel cooking show on MEGA channel, called “Stories from the List”, through which he gives viewers a unique tour and discovers magnificent dishes, flavors, and views of Greece.
- From 2014 to 2016, he hosts his own daily cooking show “Do it like Akis” on MEGA channel.
- From 2015 to 2017, he collaborates with the Fresh One Productions company and hosts his own cooking videos on his channel, “Akis on Food Tube”, through Jamie Oliver’s Food Tube Network on YouTube.
- That same (2015), he is now the creator, producer, and host of his own YouTube channel, Akis Petretzikis. These are, in essence, two different channels - one Greek and one English - which include cooking shows - many of which are translated into Sign Language - and videos of various content that revolve around a very specific topic: food! A few of them are the shows Kitchen Lab, Akis’ diet, Taste the day, Celebrity Cooking, askAkis, LIVE Home Cooking, Food for Thought, etc.
- In 2017, a daily cooking game show called “Ready Steady Cook” begins to air on ALPHA channel, and Akis takes on the role of the host.
- From 2017 to 2018, his cooking show «Kitchen Lab» begins to air on SKAI channel.
- From 2018 to 2019, he takes on the role of a judge in ALPHA's reality show "Bake Off Greece".
- From 2018 until today, he hosts the "Kitchen Lab" show every weekend on ALPHA channel; a show that continues to gather the interest and love of the TV audience.
- In 2019, Akis hosts another travel cooking show, full of original flavors and wonderful destinations, called “Akis' Food Tour” that airs on ALPHA channel.
- In 2020, he participates as a co-host on the “Ready Steady Cook” show of the British television channel BBC One.
In addition, to keep up with the trends of the times, Akis keeps daily public communication with his followers through several social media channels: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Viber, Pinterest, and TikTok.
Known for how easily he combines simple everyday ingredients and prepares delicious recipes -quick and affordable-, Akis soon made his debut in the publishing industry.
- In 2014, he published his first cooking magazine (and many more magazines followed), while by the end of the same year, his first cookbook, “Now this you have to taste!”, was published by Psichogios Publications, and won the people’s choice award in the category of “Well-Being” at the Public Book Awards in 2015.
- In 2016, came his second book, "Just Chocolate", which was published in collaboration with Nestlé Dessert by Patakis Publications.
- In 2017, Akis finally creates his… cake bible. His cookbook, titled “Piece of Cake”, is published by Psychogios Publications and truly flies off the shelves!
- A year later, in 2018, another cookbook of Akis is published by Psichogios Publications - this time not only in Greek, but also in English! - titled "Greek Comfort Food". 260 recipes of Greek, traditional cuisine immerse the reader in the secrets of pure, hearty food.
- In 2019, the cookbook "Street Food" is published by Psichogios Publications, and in 2020, wins the people’s choice award in the "Well-Being" category of the Public Book Awards. Through its pages, Akis shows how we can prepare our own street food recipes in the kitchen of our home!
The office, the restaurants, and the e-shop
But Akis' business activities do not only include TV shows and publications. Every day, through the offices of Kitchen Lab, the beloved chef together with his team find new ways to pique the interest of the people and to introduce them to the secrets of good food. Like that, in 2016, Akis welcomes us to the Kitchen Lab Café of Agia Paraskevi - a popular hangout, where people have the opportunity to enjoy unique delicacies, but also the best brunch in town! That same year, Burger AP opens its doors, the hangout that changes everything about street food. The burger is now the pinnacle of perfection and along with it, everything that accompanies it: Potatoes, salads, other side dishes, as well as the desserts that complete each meal with absolute success! A year later, Akis opens another Kitchen Lab Café in Glyfada, while in 2020, the first Kitchen Lab and Burger AP Corners open in the center of Athens.
In 2017, Akis has another surprise in store for his fans. The Akis E-shop opens its doors and starts receiving its first orders. On its…shelves, one can find all of Akis' cookbooks, his favorite cookware and kitchen items, as well as some "smart" products that can change one’s views on cooking.
And these are just the…beginning! Because Akis' countless ideas and plans prove that his imagination and creativity never end!
Stay tuned and… enjoy!